With contributions by
Liselotte Frisk Ingvild Sælid Gilhus, Olav Hammer, Wouter J. Hanegraaff, Massimo Introvigne, J. Gordon Melton, Lisbeth Mikaelsson, Mikael Rothstein and Karen Lisa Goldschmidt Salamon
More about the book
About the book
New globalised religions take two forms. Unlike new religions such
as Transcendental Meditation, the former Unification Church and The
Family, which are just a few of the recent religions to form
networks of essentially identical communities around the world, the
New Age beliefs discussed in this volume have spread without the
benefit of any organisation or unified culture, and their more
diffuse nature resists easy categorisation.
While some of the chapters in this publication consider aspects of the general nature of New Age religion, the remaining chapters are case studies which examine particular New Age beliefs, including the healing movement, the spiritualisation of money and the UFO, gnostic and goddess myths.
Table of contentsPreface Mikael Rothstein
Part I: General Perspective:
1. Prospects for the Globalization of New Age: Spiritual Imperialism Versus Cultural Diversity Wouter J. Hanegraaff
2. Globalization or Westernization? New Age as a Contemporary Transnational Culture Liselotte Frisk
3. Same Message From Everywhere: The Sources of Modern Revelation Olav Hammer
4. After the New Age: Is There a Next Age? Massimo Introvigne
Part II: Particular Cases:
5. Reiki: The International Spread of a New Age Healing Movement J. Gordon Melton
6. Homo Accumulans and the Spiritualization of Money Lisbeth Mikaelsson
7. The Gnostic Myth and the Goddess Myth: Two Contemporary Responses to Questions about Human Identity Ingvild Sælid Gilhus
8. The Myth of the UFO in Global Perspective: A Cognitive Approach Mikael Rothstein
9. 'Going Global from the Inside Out': Spiritual Globalism in the Workplace. Karen Lisa Goldschmidt Salamon
Index of Persons
Debra J. Jensen Religious Studies Review
"... well-written and accessible to an undergraduate reader."
Michael York Journal of Contemporary Religion
"... this book offers a thoroughly engaging series of essays."
Adrian Ivakhiv Novo Religio"... it is worthy of the highest recommendation to budding scholars of 'New Age' studies."
About the Press
This is us
The Press publishes scientific literature and more mainstream publications such as the series Reflections. All books share a strong scholarly base.
The most important task of the Press is to disseminate and make known the results of scientific research at Aarhus University, but the Press also publishes scientific work from other institutions.