More about the book
About the book
The Parsing System "Palavras" is the result of a
dissertation project carried out at the University of Aarhus
between 1994 and 1999, and describes a Progressive Level Parser
('Palavras') and a Dependency Grammar for Portuguese, both based on
the Constraint Grammar paradigm and embedded in extensive corpus
The text provides a thorough discussion of relevant issues in general and computational linguistics, while at the same time offering a fresh and empirically motivated view on Portuguese grammar. Morphology, syntax and semantics are treated, as well as a number of practical applications, covering corpus annotation, grammar teaching and machine translation.
All chapters are richly embroidered with examples, graphics and statistics, and a gentle progression of topics makes the book accesible to a wide range of linguistically interested readers.
Table of contents1. Introduction
2. The lexicomorphological level: Structuring words
3. Morphosyntactic disambiguation: The Holographic picture
4. The syntactic level: A dependency description of Portuguese
5. The uses of valency: A bridge from syntax to semantics
6. The semantic perspective: Incremental semantic parsing (ISP)
7. The applicational level: Teaching and translating on the internet
8. Conclusion: The advantages of incrementality
About the Press
This is us
The Press publishes scientific literature and more mainstream publications such as the series Reflections. All books share a strong scholarly base.
The most important task of the Press is to disseminate and make known the results of scientific research at Aarhus University, but the Press also publishes scientific work from other institutions.